Saturday, February 19, 2011

baby caught drink driving

Random Fact: In 2003 a woman was arrested for breast-feeding... while driving!
Crazy! But it just goes to show the lengths us mums will go to to keep everyone happy and to get there on time. 
Sometimes life with little kids is crazy crazy crazy! You just get one down to sleep, you'd love to have a rest, but you'll just do that little bit of washing up first, you're about to lie down when the other one needs some help in the bathroom, then the first one has woken up early from their nap screaming. The chance for mummy to rest is gone and on with the rest of the day.
This morning I woke up feeling shocking, with a bit of a cold and muscles aching all over. Mark was kind enough to do all the housework and take the kids to the park so I could get a rest, seriously! What a man!
It hasn't taken him too long to learn that if mummy ain't happy, ain't nobody happy, and that giving me a rest is really going to be a blessing, not just to me, but to the rest of the family too.
Mums are truly the heart of the family. We bring the warmth, the love, the energy, creativity, joy and vision. If we are running like a machine, we get worn out, tired and cranky - you know how it is.
Its funny how spilt milk, crying babies and fighting siblings, can seem like I walk in the park when I'm feeling refreshed and full of energy. Mum clicks her fingers like Mary Poppins and everyone hops into line. On other days, Mum's mood spills over onto the whole family, everyone's in tears,walking on eggshells and looking for a place to hide.
I've really only learnt recently how important it is for me to have rest and time out, in a variety of ways, to keep my heart in a good and healthy place. Sometimes it takes asking for help from someone to mind the kids so that you can get some time for yourself, and also taking any help that gets offered.
def. output: "the energy, power, or work produced by a system or device."
def. input: "the power or energy supplied to a machine."
Where is your power coming from?
Here are some of the things I do to refresh my heart, body and mind.


Go for a walk in the crisp morning air
Have a bubble bath when all the kids are in bed
Spend time on the deck reading my Bible and praying
Reading a good book
Having a coffee & dessert with good friends, without the kids
Going on a date with my hubby
Having a home date at least once a week, if we can't get out, cooking a yummy dinner for two after the kids are in bed
Watch some comedy with my hubby
Play musical instruments
Write my blog
Get a massage
Go window shopping in a cute country/mountain town
Have friends over for dinner
Go to a concert/movie/show


Once I'd realised that my life was being consumed with kids and housework, it took me a while to realise the things that I'd really like to do. What do you like to do to get refreshed?

1 comment: