Wednesday, February 2, 2011

navigating follies

I bought myself one of those flicky women's calendar things that have a new verse for each day. I have it sitting next to the stove top and meditate on the day's verse while I'm cooking .... and its aqua, so it matches my aqua splashback ... which is refreshing to me. Yesterday, I really meditated on the verse for the day, and put it into action.


Do you ever worry if your kids are going to turn out ok? Maybe some unnoticed impatience on your part scars them for life? But this verse really encouraged me about something to protect us ...


Proverbs 4:6-7
'Don’t turn your back on wisdom, for she will protect you.

Love her, and she will guard you.
Getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do!
And whatever else you do, develop good judgment.'



This verse was so pertinent, because just the day before I had judged incorrectly. Somebody had lied and wasn't giving in. It's just that it was a new skill for one of the kids, so I naturally assumed it was the other one!


It all ended well in the end,.. for me at least:)


When this sort of thing happens it always makes me think of the story about Solomon and the two mums who both had babies. One accidently rolled on her baby in the night and it died. Then she swapped the babies. The women argued about who the babies belonged to, and came before King Solomon. In his wisdom, he asked for a sword to be brought so that he could cut the baby in two - causing the real mum to beg for its life and to relinquish the baby to the other woman. Then he knew who the real mum was, and gave the baby to her.


Sometimes we need so much wisdom and good judgement to navigate the follies of our children. All it takes is stepping back for a moment, as long as you need, and asking God for wisdom. He doesn't hold back wisdom if we ask. We just need to take the time to listen.


James 1:5 'If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.'

No comments:

Post a Comment