Friday, February 4, 2011

good mum bad mum

I just thought I'd let you know that the whole 'supermum world changer' title of the blog is a bit of irony. If you hadn't already figured it out, I don't in anyway think that I'm a supermum, just an ordinary mum, and I'm much more of a nappy changer than a world changer.
I think when I started the blog, I wanted to go on a journey of discovery in how to juggle the many desires of being a great mum and the balance of achieving something monumental with your life with your family - that is outward focused, not just inward focused on the family. In saying that, yes, being a mum is the most important job you can ever do, but in me there is a desire to do something more than just being a mum, and also leading my kids to do things that are others focused.
However, having this idol of the supermum world changer in my mind has often made me feel like I'm not quite making it. I could make a huge list in my head of all the ways I've failed - that I've yelled, or said something not nice, or I've been too cranky or too tired, or encouraged too much fun and games til somebody got hurt!
But rarely have I made up a list of the things I've done well, or the many ways that I have loved the kids today.
Every time one of the gorgeous ones hasn't been behaving so well, we've thought about what we could have done better, or the millions of possible things I've said or done or haven't said or done to cause this behaviour. Maybe you've never asked yourself if you're doing a good job, 'am I a good mum?', but I have on more than one occasion.
Mark and I started to joke, whenever the kids did something so amazing and cute and beautiful or kind or loving, that they must have good parents - we must be doing something right! Afterall, if you can accept the blame, then you can take the credit too!
In the end, kids are kids, you didn't put the foolishness in them, but you have many opportunities to train it out of them.
There are so many ways that us mums show our kids that we love them everyday - and that's the truth - and something worth thinking about. That list is worth celebrating. And the naughty mum list - well thank Jesus for His grace!
I know it sounds silly, but maybe you could think about or even write down all the ways in the past 24 hours that you've shown your kids and hubby that you love them. I'm sure you could fill a few pages. I did this today, and filled a page! I didn't do it so I could boast, but so that I could realise the truth and throw that other list in my mind away. 

.... here's some examples to get you started...

- I woke up earlier than I would have liked to, to pack school bags
- gave cuddles and kisses
- said 'I love you'
- made lunches
- drove to school
- carried bags for them!
- spoke encouragement to hunky husband (even saying 'have a good day!' passes)
- prayed for them
- laughed at their jokes
- said 'wow' lots of times (even though I might not have been listening... shhh)
- said 'aren't you a good boy!'
- didn't go completely nuts and mental when someone didn't move fast enough
- made pretty pigtails with red ribbons
- said 'you're soooo beautiful!'

... well, I think you get the picture ... enjoy making your list. Let me know how it goes:)

Sar x


1 comment: