Monday, August 1, 2011

Beauty and other fairytales

I was watching 'the devil wears Prada' with my besty last night (what a good man!) There are some really sad moments in this movie - when her boss tells her that she decided to hire her, 'the smart fat girl'. Tears well up in her eyes - of course she is beautiful and not fat at all! But something happens that day and she begins to conform to the image set before her. Her workmate hasn't eaten for weeks so that she can be skinny enough to go to Paris - she is 'only one stomach flu away from her goal weight'. In the end the distinct contrast is seen between the image of skinny, rich, successful and the reality of alone, sad, betrayed and cruel.
For us girls, this beauty, image, skinny thing can be a big deal. I think about what I want for my daughter, especially when I'm walking past all the teenage fashion shops. Do I want her to be a teenage girl obsessed with her image and always thinking that she is not pretty enough and not skinny enough?
I remember when I was in year 6. We went on our first school camp and were going canoeing. In our group of 3 we had to decide the heaviest in the group, who would sit at the back of the canoe. This was the first time that I remember thinking that I was fat, I don't think I'd ever thought it before. Even though I was a normal weight, I was the heaviest of the three. This moment began my battle with my self image and later on a season of bulimia. 
As an adult, my weight has gone up and down. When we first lived in Japan I was maybe slightly over the weight I should have been for my height. But in the Japanese people's eyes, I was a giant. The women didn't have any qualms with telling you that you were fat, and quite enjoyed pointing it out to you. I love that my husband always loves me and adores me no matter what my body shape - pregnant, post-pregnant and all! This has certainly helped me to have a healthy body image at times. 
There is so much to explore on this topic and I think I'll come back to it. My daughter is climbing on my back and its time for an activity. I tell her everyday that she is the most beautiful girl in the whole world. Maybe that's what your daddy God is saying to you today.
I'll leave you with a verse:
Romans 12:2
2Do not be conformed to this world (this age), [fashioned after and adapted to its external, superficial customs], but be transformed (changed) by the [entire] renewal of your mind [by its new ideals and its new attitude], so that you may prove [for yourselves] what is the good and acceptable and perfect will of God, even the thing which is good and acceptable and perfect [in His sight for you].

1 comment:

  1. Great post Sarah. Such a relevant issue for all mum's, especially those with daughters.

    ReplyDelete