Saturday, February 20, 2010

mums

We went to a park yesterday where there were heaps of mums with kids. At first I thought it must be a play group, because all the kids looked about the same age. But then I realised that with all these mums standing near their kids, that none of them were actually talking to each other!
I really miss what it must have been like in the old days, when towns were small and everyone knew everyone in the community, neighbors helped each other out, everyone knew everyone's business, and you always had someone to have a natter with.
You find the same situation when you go to kids sports, like kindergym, where my little girl goes, that most parents talk only to their children and not to each other.
I think mums really crave community and friendships, but are too shy, don't know how or have given up on the idea.
I love talking to other mums and making new friends. Sometimes the greatest need that people have is friendship.
I want to be bolder when I meet people and really go out of my way to show kindness, interest and investment into friendships. Who knows that it could be exactly what that mum really needs and is hoping for?
I know that I've always been really blessed when someone has gone out of their way to start a friendship with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment